So, Monday evening we decided to take a spontaneous trip to St. Louis all day Wednesday because my husband’s FAVORITE BAND EVER was going to be there (birthday gift from me). Then, we used our anniversary money to make this our anniversary trip for this year! And we only had 1 day to plan!
So, we were a little CRAZY. My husband worked both Tuesday and Thursday so we had 1 day in which to drive to St. Louis, enjoy it, and drive back. Since St. Louis is an almost 5 hour drive for us, we planned to leave at 5:30am!!
So, how did we plan this?
First: Set up our non-negotiables & did the research
- Attend The Classic Crime concert. We were going for a concert that started at 6:30pm, and we would drive home after the concert. Thus saving the cost of staying anywhere. Plus, Matt had to be home for work the next day.
- Go to the City Museum. We checked out the hours 9am-5pm and the prices – $12 entry, optional $5 for roof and $6 for aquarium.
- Spend little on food. We decided to go out to eat for lunch and pack a dinner, as lunch would not cost as much money. We know we would check out Restaurant.com to see if they had any restaurants we would be interested in. They had a promo code going on, so we were able to buy a $25 gift certificate for only $5!! (If you don’t know how to use restaurant.com, check out this post.)
Second: Plan out a rough schedule
Since the top three were our main priorities, we used google maps to see how far away from each other they were. We also looked at the map to see if there were any other nearby attractions. Here’s what we came up with:
- Possibly go to the Zoo – it’s FREE!! Read Emily’s post on her experience at the zoo. Actually, check out all her posts on St. Louis!
- Possibly walk around Chase Park Plaza
1) Go to a restaurant – we chose Cafe Eau – beautiful, gorgeous location (it’s a restaurant of a nice hotel). The lunch was very relaxing!
It’s our view incredible? We had their Toasted Beef Ravioli for an appetizer. AMAZING!
2) Head to City Museum
We spent hours here and wore ourselves out!! It’s basically a 12-story building full of places to explore and climb about!
There were tunnels everywhere – between levels, above rooms, below rooms, under stages, etc.
Since I climbed trees a lot when younger, this might be my favorite section:
Oh, no! I’m going to fall!
They had an underground cave section as well….which led to the 10-story slide! Look at all the stairs we had to walk up!!
There was an outside portion as well, with more slides and climbing areas. They had two planes that you could climb between. Then, on the rooftop they have a bus near the edge of the building, looking like it’s about to fall off:
There are so many other pictures I could show you – we took 181. The City Museum was so fun – we had a swinging good time!!
3) The Classic Crime concert!!
This was not a disappointment either – well worth the time spent to drive to St. Louis! We saw The Classic Crime. (The lead singer from The Classic Crime, is also half of the husband/wife duo “The Vocal Few”, which I referenced in my first picture. You should check them out!)
It was a very intimate setting (it held about 70-80) and we stood in the first row!!
We stood right in front of the bass player.
This was such a great time!!