Braised Chicken Gumbo
(Originally from Eating Well)
This is a quick meal that can be cooked in 30 minutes if you have leftovers from last week’s crockpot Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken. This gumbo is absolutely delicious!!
- 1 Tbl. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbl. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded chicken from Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken
- 2 cups sauce from Wine & Tomato Braised Chicken
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced okra, fresh or frozen (thawed) **I have omitted this a couple of times
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
NOTE: If you have leftover rice from the Braised Chicken, just reheat it. Otherwise starting cooking rice first, so it’s ready to add to the gumbo in step 2.
Step 1: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper and flour and cook, stirring, until the pepper is beginning to soften and the flour is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Step 2: Add chicken, sauce, broth, okra, rice and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the flavors meld and the okra is tender, about 10 minutes.
And…you’re done! See how easy it is? This gumbo has such rich flavors from the crockpot dish. I would highly recommend trying it!
What recipes have you been enjoying lately?