At the beginning of February, I shared some of my goals for the year and what I was going to work on for the month. Since I wrote the post for additional accountability, I wanted to follow up with how I did on my goals and then share my goals for the next few months.
I’m definitely at a season in life where I can NOT do everything I want to do, but the work I’m doing is still very important. Sometimes it is a sacrifice and sometimes it is so fulfilling! That’s life – right? Anyway, through the course of the month I did come to the conclusion that I’m trying to do too much a once – at least too many NEW things at once.
In February I wanted to accomplish these 10 goals:
1. Year goal: Listen to the whole Bible. February goal: Listen through to the end of Proverbs. I listen to the Bible in the mornings while doing chores, cleaning, etc. Then I finish during the kid’s nap. I’m using the YouVersion read the Bible in 90 days.– NOPE. I didn’t get too much farther than the end of 2 Kings. And this is a goal I’m going to put on pause. I want to spend my mornings listening to podcasts instead for now. I did get 30 % of the way through the Bible and I’ll probably pick it up again come summer time.
- 2. Overall goal: Get up early for a daily quiet time and journaling.The Make over your Mornings 14-day online course has given me a great kick start for this habit! I also started an accountability Facebook group that is keeping me going. – This one was a hit and miss. Some days I got up early, some I didn’t. I’m going to continue to have this as my goal for the upcoming months!
- 3. Year goal: Finish series 1 and 2 of the First Principle Series. February goal: Finish the last book of series 1 of First Principles. Each book in this series is a six-sessions Bible study guide to help establish believers in their faith. Instead of the typical fill-in-the-blank booklet, this study involves Bible passages and readings, Socratic discussion, personal reflection, and projects. I’ve really enjoyed leading a group through this series! – Yep, I finished this! (although I finished it in March, not February)
- 4. Year goal: Memorize Ephesians. February goal: Memorize Ephesians ch. 1.I’m memorizing 1 verse a day (and taking Sundays off, and some Saturdays off). At that rate, I will be done by the end of August. If I’m giving myself grace, I’m hoping to be done by the end of September or October. – Check! Except I didn’t finish memorizing ch. 1 until halfway through March.
- 5. Year goal: Read 18-24 books. February goal:
Read Money Making Mom by Crystal Paineand Own Your Life by Sally Clarkson. I’m getting back into using Goodreads. – So, I only read 1 book. But I’m still working through my list!! 6. Year goal: Teach Ain godly character through the Fruit of the Spirit curriculum. February goal: Teach 5 weeks straight without taking a break. I’ve had a little bit of trouble being consistent with a totschool schedule for Ain. At this point, I like to have a curriculum to work through, but I’ve been a bit too lax in not being prepared enough. I know at this point, everything is a bonus, but I do want to build some routine in our weeks.– No, I don’t think Ain is quite ready for this curriculum. And I missed following the weekly themes on letstotschool.com. So, I’m going back to those for March and April.
- 7. Year goal: Read through a couple of books with Matt. February goal: Read the first 6 chapters of Shepherding a Child’s Heart with Matt. We are taking some time on Saturdays to read 1 chapter then immediately discussion and evaluating whether or not there is something to apply from what we just read. – This has not happened every Saturday. We’ve decided to rework our schedule and try doing this on Sunday afternoon.
- 8. Year goal: Write 50 blog posts and 12 posts for the Borough. February goal: Write 4-5 blog posts, averaging about 1 each week. – I wrote 4 blog posts here and then 1 article for the Borough!!
- 9. Year goal: Write 2 ebooks. February goal: Outline books and start writing book proposals.So excited about this – I will share more details in the future.
- 10. Year goal: Become certified as a birth doula. February goal: Read through to page 104 (at least) in the Physiology in Labor and Birth manual. – I definitely made progress in my overall goal to become a doula this year – but the progress I made was different than I planned.
So for March/April, I am definitely simplifying things. I’m focusing on fewer goals and since I’ve already experienced a month with these goals, I can be a little more realistic about what I can accomplish in a month. Here is what I have planned:
- Overall goal: Go to bed early and wake early for quiet time and journaling. Monthly goal: On April 4th – go through the Make over your Mornings 14-day online course AGAIN (it’s that helpful) with a Facebook accountability Facebook group. AND start using my new Prayer Journal during quiet times (periscope broadcast about it coming soon!).
- Year goal: Memorize Ephesians. Monthly goal: Memorize Ephesians ch. 2. I’ve been going at a rate of 5 verses each week. I’m going to continue at that pace and will probably be done by the end of September. If I’m giving myself grace, I’m hoping to be done by the end of October for sure.
- Year goal: Weekly totschool themes through Spring and Summer, then Fruit of the Spirit Curriculum in the fall. Monthly goal: Follow the totschool themes: Spring, Manners, Gardening, Exercise and Movement, Air
- Year goal: Read 18-24 books. Monthly goal: Read The Lifegiving Home by Sally Clarkson and another book TBD, plus slowly read through Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp with Matt. You can check out the books I’m reading at Goodreads.
- Year goal: Write 50 blog posts and 12 posts for the Borough Online. Monthly goal: Write 4-5 blog posts each month, averaging about 1 each week.
- Year goal: Become certified as a birth doula. Monthly goal: Read through all of the Communication module and complete assignments. I’m hoping to spend 3 mornings each week working on the reading and assignments (if my kids cooperate).
- The next two months starting today – Diastasis Bootcamp!!
So there you have it – much more doable!!
What goals do you have for this year? Would you like help setting goals? Check out the Make Over your Year course by Jesse and Crystal Paine! It’s only on sale for another 17 hours!