Here’s a good way to add vegetables to your toddler’s favorite meal!
If your toddler is like mine, a favorite food group is starch, and he specifically likes pasta. We try not to give our kid pasta all the time, but here’s an easy meal to cook that also has a hidden vegetable!!
Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheese
- 12 ox. whole wheat pasta
- 2 Tbl. butter
- 2 Tbs. whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk (or milk substitute)
- 3/4 c. grated cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- 1 c. or can of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 c. grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Even though I’ve been on a dairy-free diet (because my infant had reflux and I’m not sure if it was a cow’s milk intolerance or just being a newborn), I ate this anyway since I used a milk substitute (so there was just a bit of cheese in my portion). He’s 3 months now and no signs of reflux -yay!!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 by 13 pan.
- Boil pasta and drain.
- Melt the butter in a skillet, add flour, and whisk for a few minutes over medium heat.
- Gradually add the milk and continue to whisk until it thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in cheese, pumpkin puree, salt, and pepper. Add pasta and stir to coat evenly.
- Pour into the 9 by 13 inch pan and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 15-20 min. Then remove the foil and bake for another 5-10 min, or until the tops begins to brown.